Is Rakuten a Scam?
Welcome to my Rakuten Review!
If you’ve heard of affiliate marketing, chances are you’ve probably heard of Rakuten. It is one of the most successful affiliate networks that connects product sellers and affiliate marketers.
However, before you join this affiliate network, there are many things that you should take into consideration.
I have been with Rakuten for many years now and I want to share some insightful stories and experience I have with Rakuten.
There have been underlying problems and issues with Rakuten, therefore I am going to uncover whether Rakuten is a scam or whether it is still a legitimate network.
What is Rakuten?
Rakuten is a Japan-based company. It was founded in 1997 by Hiroshi Mikitani. It deals with electronic commerce and internet company based in Tokyo.
It operates Japan’s largest internet bank and the third largest credit card company. You can learn more about Rakuten Here.
I was pleased to learn that Rakuten has sponsored the Spanish football club FC Barcelona since 2017 which should last through to 2020.
I liked that the affiliate Network can process payment to 202 countries in 25 currencies.
Affiliate marketing promotes the discovery of new opportunities for growth and revenue generation through superior services and innovative technology which improves business performance.
The company incorporates integrated marketing which has set strategies that enhance performance across the channels.
Here’s a Quick Video on Rakuten.
They also administer the use of Influence marketing which inspires product discovery and brand devotion preventing risks and ensure that the affiliate marketing program aligns with federal requirements.
It also has a data-driven advertising system that improves consumer performance it enables me as a consumer see the results from the data and proprietary algorithms.
What are Their Products and Services?
There are several services provided such as:
- Online market. Includes buying and selling of all legal items like electronics, clothing, beauty, health, sports, pet supplies, office supplies, home and outdoor supplies, baby products; among others.
- Online banking mostly operated in Japan.
- Credit cards and payments are provided to the clients on the site.
- Media. Include things like music, movies, tv shows or even magazines whether vintage or modern.
- Travel reservations to traveling clients.
- Professional sports for those who like sports you can get sports equipment on sale and learn more about sports that you are interested in.
- Videos that are on demand. Get all the trending videos online and most watched/demanded on the site.
- Marketing and data analysis.
- Electronic reading and e-books for all the book lovers who do not want a hard copy but still want to learn.
- Book distribution of big sellers. Involves buying and selling of books for those who like to read and explore in words.
- Fashion and trends for all the ladies and gentlemen who like to be informed on new designs for the glam.
- Mobile messaging applications that are on sale since they have partnered with major corporations.
- Games like space invaders and Pac-Man for the gamer both adults and kids who love their games. The game console is available for sale and also games that are bought.
Here’s a look inside the Member’s Area
Do you want these or any products for free?
When it comes to shopping, coupons, discount, and promo codes are cool to save money. But free is way better. At Rakuten, you can save all sorts of coupons, discount, and double cash back when you shop with them.
If you want to save even more, check out Swagbucks.com where you can earn gift cards and cash doing what you already do online.
Did you know that you can make extra bucks to shop by sharing your opinions about the services and products at sites like: Inbox Dollars, Survey Voices, Daily Rewards, Pinecone Research Surveys, and Survey Rewardz?
What I Like About Rakuten
- Creating an account on the site is very easy and only takes less than one minute.
- Anyone above the age of 18 years can access and join the site since it is the legal age according to the law.
- Creating an account is free of charge and only required me to have an email and password only.
- Rakuten takes reasonable steps to safeguard and prevent unauthorized access to personal information provided to the site.
- Payments to the sellers can be made by using credit cards, debit cards or any other payment method specified by Rakuten.
- Credit card information is not provided to the seller to protect the buyer from identity theft or fraudulent charges.
- The buyer’s address is provided to the seller to make shipment easier and possible.
- Buyers and sellers get to negotiate and agree on the prices of the commodities they are selling based on tax and other shipping charges.
- Feedback on the services provided is highly appreciated to help improve the services provided on the site.
- By making a purchase I gained points which I can use to make a purchase with and top up the remainder with cash.
- It is a legal business. It does not promote illegal business on the site.
What I Don’t Like About Rakuten
It has some disadvantages associated with it such as:
- One cannot purchase or sell products without creating an account.
- An account once created can be disabled permanently without any prior notice to you and access to the site.
- Rakuten will not be liable for the termination of the account.
- Orders may take longer to get delivered if the buyer is not from Japan.
- Purchase on the site is limited. Corporations, partnerships or legal entities are not allowed to make a purchase. It is also limited to the 50 states of the United States or the District of Columbia exclusive of its territories and possessions.
- Orders made by the client (buyer) cannot be changed or canceled.
Who is it for?
Rakuten is used by seller looking for a buyer to sell to their products.
Anyone can easily use the site to get any product they want and also for the affiliate program offered at the site.
Training, Tools, and Support
No training is required. You just need to create an account and start shopping and have fun.
- Email: Isfirstname.lastname@example.org
Affiliate Network Publisher:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: +1 888.880.8430
- Phone: +1 646.943.8200
Affiliate Network Advertiser:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: +1 855.725.5465
- Email: email@example.com
What is the Cost of Joining Rakuten?
The account creation is free. I only get to pay for the items bought and shipment fees since I do not come from Japan.
Is Rakuten a Scam?
There were some allegations of fraudulent charges on credit cards in May 2013, but the investigation of the third party from technical forensics company found no wrongdoing on Rakuten’s end.
Rakuten also banned the online sale of whale and dolphin meat by the end of April 2014 and ivory in July 2017 on its sites.
At the time of writing this review, Rakuten is not yet accredited by the Better Business Bureau. So this may be a deal breaker for those of you that rely on these BBB rating to determine legitimacy.
Here’s What I Really Think
From the information that I have given and considering it took me only five seconds to create an account, I would have to say that the site is legit.
It has some features that I do not like but many others that I do like. therefore, I would consider using it for my online purchases.
I would advise anyone from the U.S. and Japan to use it as an online market. It has thousands of products of all shapes and sizes.
Rakuten at a Glance
Owner: Hiroshi Mikitani
Price: Free to Join
Overall Scam Rank: 8.7 Out of 10
Verdict: Legit, Great Marketplace for Savvy Shoppers
- Creating an account is very easy
- Anyone above the age of 18 years can join
- You can create an account for free.
- Cannot purchase or sell products without creating an account.
- An account can be disabled permanently without prior notice to you.
- Rakuten will not be liable for the termination of your account.